Uganda Travel Advisory: (Travel Restrictions, COVID Tests)
Uganda Travel Advisory: (Travel Restrictions, COVID Tests & Quarantine Requirements)
Reconsider travel to Uganda due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Uganda due to crime.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
Uganda Travel Advisory (on Travel Restrictions and COVID Tests) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Travel Health Notice for Uganda due to COVID-19, indicating a moderate level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 related restrictions and conditions in Uganda.
Violent crimes, such as armed robbery, home invasion, kidnapping, and sexual assault, can occur at any time, especially in larger cities including Kampala and Entebbe. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious crime.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Uganda:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Food and drinks should never be left unattended in public especially in local clubs.
- Remain with a group of friends in public.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Keep a low profile.
- Carry a copy of your passport and visa (if applicable) and leave originals in your hotel safe.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Uganda.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.