Lemala Wildwaters Lodge, Activities, Reviews, Tours, Facts, Official Partner
Lemala Wildwaters Lodge occupies a six-hectare plot of land on Kalagala Island, about 25 kilometers downstream from Jinja in eastern Uganda, on a private island in the middle of the majestic River Nile. It’s in a beautiful setting, and the fact that the only way to get there is by boat makes it a thrilling destination. It has a spectacular location, perched on granite rocks with raging rivers on all sides.
Lemala Wildwaters Lodge, Uganda
Visitors to the adventure capital of Jinja can enjoy white-water rafting, bungee jumping, horseback riding, and fishing on the river. You can also observe huge otters and monitor lizards in the water at Wildwaters, and it’s a great place to see some of the more than 1,000 bird species for which Uganda is known.
Wildwaters Lodge is the perfect place for newlyweds and other couples to unwind after an action-packed day. Those visiting the spa perched above the rushing waters of the river will appreciate the view.
Wildwaters Lodge welcomes guests throughout the year so they can experience paradise no matter the season.
Lemala Wildwaters Lodge Details and Amenities
Nestled in the heart of the rainforest, these ten exclusive, elevated timber-floor luxury rooms provide breathtaking river views. Each has glass-fronted windows, locally crafted furnishings, chic bathrooms with rain showers, and private wooden terraces with daybeds and romantic free-standing open-air baths, all of which are connected by elevated wooden walkways to the hotel’s restaurant, bar, and library. The main lodge area is really lovely, and it features a swimming pool that is cantilevered above the river, as well as breakfasts and dinners that are served with candlelight and three courses.
Spend a day at LEMALA WILD WATERS Luxury Lodge Jinja
- 7 standard suites, 2 private plunge pool suites and 1 two bedded suite make up the total compliment of accommodation on the island.
- All suites are private and exclusive and can be made into a double or triple or twin configuration. A day bed is standard in all suites.
- The suites enjoy private balconies with freestanding baths and mosquito nets.
- Additionally, a room safe, en-suite private bathroom with great rain showers and complimentary toiletries are available.
- All meals are included in your stay. Meals are taken in the main area by the poolside with magnificent views of the River Nile. Private dinners can be catered for in your room or at the poolside on request.
- Our dishes are made from the freshest ingredients and we are able to accommodate most dietary requirements including vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free amongst others. All dietary preferences must be advised at the time of booking.
- The lodge power is supplied 24hrs by the national grid, with a generator back up. Power is 220v and the plugs are 3-pin square UK standard. Adapters are available from the reception on request.
- Transfers to the island from Entebbe, Kampala or Jinja can be arranged directly with the lodge. The transfers are charged per vehicle one-way. Entebbe Airport to Wildwaters Lodge: USD 200 | Kampala to Wildwaters Lodge: USD 160 | Jinja to Wildwaters Lodge: USD 120
- Please note that due to the nature of the river crossing to the island guests must arrive before 4pm in order to arrive safely. All crossings are strictly and at the sole discretion of the acting general manager at Lemala Wildwaters Lodge.
Whilst children over the age of 12 are most welcome, parents must understand that Wildwaters Lodge is situated on an island surrounded by grade 5 plus rapids. They must be supervised at all times and will not be allowed to roam free on the island without being accompanied by a parent. They must also remain under adult supervision at all times.
What to See and Do at Lemala Wildwaters Lodge (Activities/Attractions)
Go on your own horse and see the reserves.
Lemala Wildwaters Lodge and Lemala Hamerkop House both have horseback riding available. Hamerkop House’s horseback riding adventures on Dolly Estate are suitable for riders of all skill levels, from novice to advanced. Gentle hacks along dusty trails where wildebeest and antelopes graze peacefully are a delight for novice riders. With knowledgeable guides at your side, you may wander the winding trails and learn about the area’s diverse fauna. The Gerenuk, one of Tanzania’s most beautiful mammals, is a common sight on Dolly Estate.
The journey at Wildwaters Lodge is excellent for groups of friends and family with a range of skills who want to ride together. The journey includes a visit to a nearby village and a segment along the banks of the ancient Nile, both of which provide excellent opportunities for cantering. More advanced riders can join us on exciting overnight safaris to discover remote regions inaccessible by car.
Need to Know
- Depending on how fast you go, a ride can last anywhere from two to four hours.
- At both locations, we have rides available in the mornings and afternoons.
- Rides to Hamerkop House leave at 8 AM and 2:30 PM daily.
- Each day, rides at Wildwaters Lodge begin at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. The availability of horses and guides for your safari is contingent upon your advance reservation.
- Horse Riding at Wildwaters Lodge from USD 60 per person.
- Horse Riding at Hamerkop House from USD 125 per person.
- Lemala Wildwaters Lodge rides do not include transport, but can be arranged for USD 60 return, prices are subject to change.
Experience the Nile River’s sheer power and beauty
- After 28 years in business, Kabira Safaris & Tours the official partner of Adrift can boast an unmatched and renowned safety record. Adrift has guided over 58,000 guests down the Nile in complete safety, including the likes of Prince William, Ginger Spice, Mikka Hakkinen, Ewan McGregor, and Charlie Boorman.
Rafting Nile Rapids
- An unforgettable, full-day adventure for the less physically demanding day. Float along the world’s most renowned river amidst the stunning beauty of Wildwaters Reserve. Observe the abundant bird life and ride the crashing waves on a raft.
- When you book one of our family white water rafting adventures, you can kick back and relax while our guides take care of the kids. Adrift is an expert in kid-friendly white water rafting. We promise that your children will have the pleasure of their life while simultaneously learning about the river and practicing extreme caution.
Need to Know
- Pickup and drop-off at Wildwaters Lodge are on the house.
- There must be at least four participants for an Introduction to Rafting.
- In order to run, family rafting needs a minimum of 4 persons, including 2 adults and 2 children.
- Costs could go up or down.
- Introduction to Rafting from 80 USD per person
- Whitewater Rafting from USD 140 per person
- Grade 3 Rafting from USD 140 per person
- Family Rafting from USD 30 per child and USD 60 per adult
Choose between rapids or a sunset cruise
- Whitewater kayaking on the Nile is ideal for beginners because of the river’s warm water, abundant sunshine, nearby tropical islands, and gentle rapids. We run our Introduction to Whitewater day excursions from WWL, so you can expect a unique, off-the-beaten-path experience. The goal of the day is to give you the knowledge and experience to safely navigate a fun white water section on your very first day. At all times, one of our expert tour guides will be right there beside you. The vast majority of customers choose this.
- The smaller whitewater at the island’s base, near Lemala WildWaters Lodge, is used for this activity. This is a great introduction to white water kayaking, done in our more stable Sit On Top Kayaks so you can get a feel for the rapids and the river environment. You will be led through some gentle white water and may even take a little swim in the river, but safety kayakers will be there to help you get back into your craft. An exciting outing that is also safe for the whole family to enjoy.
Wildwaters Kayak Cruise
- Experience the exotic islands and calm waters of the White Nile on a kayaking trip. There is no minimum age requirement for this leisurely outing, and participants of all skill levels are welcome. Our tour guide will regale you with tales of the locals and educate you on the avian inhabitants of this paradise. You’re in for a serene and beautiful adventure. Lemala Wildwaters Lodge is the starting point for kayak tours.
Need to Know
- Full Day White Water Kayaking SPS US$ 30
- Half Day White Water Kayaking requires a minimum of 2 people
- Wildwaters Kayak Cruise required a minimum of 2 people and is 2 hours long
- Prices are subject to change
- Full Day White Water Kayaking from USD 125 per person
- Half Day White Water Kayaking from USD 95 per person
- Wildwaters Kayak Cruise from USD 75 per person
Have a gander in the world’s most famous river
At Lemala Wildwaters Lodge, we are pleased to show you several “worth a try” fishing areas around the island so long as you bring your own equipment. Strangely, the local folks with the bare minimum of gear perform far better than we do. If you’re having trouble reeling in that elusive tilapia or Nile perch, they’re more than happy to offer advice.
Need to Know
- We are able to source worms for you from the local fishermen for a nominal fee.
From USD 15 per person